Galway City Harriers wishes to provide the best possible environment for all of its members. It is our intention to provide an enjoyable and safe sporting environment for the children. Listed, hereunder, are a few simple guidelines to follow:
Children are entitled to:
- Be listened to.
- Be believed.
- Be safe and feel safe.
- Be treated with dignity, sensitivity and respect.
- Have a voice in the Club.
- Participate on an equal basis.
- Be happy, have fun and enjoy the experience.
- Experience competition at a comfortable level.
- Make complaints and be listened to.
- Get assistance if being bullied or mistreated.
- Say No.
- Protect their own bodies.
Athletes are required to:
- Treat Coaches/Leaders and other athletes with respect.
- Do their best while in training and in competition while only being fair to others.
- Respect their opponents in competition.
- Abide by the rules and guidelines set down by the Coaches/Leaders both at training and when travelling to away events.
- Be modest in victory and gracious in defeat.
- Talk to the Children’s Officer if there is a problem.
- Attend training regularly at GCH-approved venues that are supervised by GCH-approved Coaches
- Train with, or under the supervision of, Galway City Harriers-approved Coaches. A full list of Galway City Harriers-approved coaches can be found here.
Athletes are required NOT to:
- Use violence or unauthorized physical contact.
- Shout or argue with coaches/leaders, officials, team-mates or opponents.
- Harm team members, opponents or their property.
- Bully or use bullying tactics to isolate, offend or hurt another athlete either physically or verbally. This includes the use of mobile phones/texts; inappropriate use of cameras or camera phones and do exercise caution and sensitivity to other athletes when using social networking sites such as Facebook etc.
- Use unfair or bullying tactics to gain advantage.
- Keep secrets, especially if you have been caused harm.
- Tell lies about adults/young people.
- Spread rumours.
- Take banned substances.
- Take illegal drugs or offer illegal drugs to others
- Engage in any criminal or illegal activity